Thursday, April 8, 2010
I saw them sitting pretty on the cashier counter & yup I grabbed each flavour available & fix the bill. I actually bought 5 tins (can't find tin no.5 for photos).
The only selling point for me is the pretty tins, nothing spectacular bout the candy :o)
Bought them without even tasting, smart me.
They are all white balls regardless the flavour.
Now I am stuck with lolly balls in pretty tins.
Saturday, April 3, 2010
Perth has relaxing atmosphere, everything seems running at a slow pace (no mad morning rush like Sydney), hardly any traffic jam.
Here's where to go:
100 St Georges Terrace
- Phin Vong
- CORICA Pastries
Pity I didn't have time to go there during this trip.
106 Aberdeen Street
Northbridge, WA 6003
p: (08) 9328 8196
- King st cafe
Nice cafe across Louis Vuitton & Tiffany co., they baked their own bread, has great wine selection. The great thing about the cafe is they open till 10pm.
King Street (enter from Hay street)
273 Mill Point Road (Corner Douglas Ave)
The wall is filled with strawberry pots !!
GREENHOUSE cafe - My fresh Orange juice came in a (recycled) bottle
GREENHOUSE cafe - menu from recycled paper
and I love this bit ..
"Our eggs come from chickens @ margaret river organic free range, the back from pigs@ ...the bread@ greenhouse is made of house milled ...wheat...we make our yoghurt in house with milk from caprino farms..all the goats have names out there...
We will harvest herbs from the roof top when they are at their best"
They use real vanilla !! I can see the black dots !! It is nice & the sweetness level is low.
I love them, not too sweet which is great & it is freshly baked !!
Tasty, love their radish/ carrot pickles, generous portion
Sugar cane prawn has good texture, not too doughy/ chewy
CIAO ITALIA - Cannoli
A little too sweet for my liking
St Georges Terrace - City of Perth :
According to my source, Canberra just recently built this shopping centre called Canberra Centre. The centre is kinda the IT place to hangout during the weekend where people are quite dressed up (I was wearing my CROCS ... LOL).
All the nice places to go for dining are all located within the Canberra Centre (Bunda Street).
Few places that that you can go within the city centre:
- Sammy's Kitchen
Was OK - the compote was too runny on that day
The asparagus was so fresh, perfectly cooked & not overcooked !!
(Lobster was a bit on the salty side..pity !! otherwise perfecto !!)
Here's my 1st successful attempt of baking a cake that is edible & look pretty fancy !!
Source : Sydney Morning Herald (Good Living magazine 02/03/2010)
This cake is easy to make & looks devine, The sticky brown caramel glazes the pears & seeps into the cake, making it moist & delicious. SErve warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 firm pears
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- zest of 1 orange
- zest of 1 lemon
- 100 gr unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup self raising flour
- Preheat fan forsec oven to 170C (190C conventional).
- Grease a 20 centimetre cake tin with removeable base & line the bottom with baking paper.
- Put sugar & water in a small saucepan & warm gently until sugar dissolves.
- Increase the hear & cook until the liquid is a light caramel colour.
- Pour into the tin & swirl around to cover the base.
- Peel, core & quarter pears & arrange on top of the caramel, with points facing towards the centre.
- Beat eggs with raw sugar, vanilla, orange & lemon zest.
- Add melted butter.
- Mix in flour.
- Place spoonfuls of batter over the top of the pears & gently spread, so as not to disturb the pears.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 mintues or until the cake is set in the centre.
- Remove from oven & turn out on to a plate while cake is still hot.
My little Tips:
- 2 pears is sufficient if they are medium-large size ( I did it with 2 pears - cut into 6 for each)
- I found it is easier to peel the pears before starting to make the cake, we can stick the pears to the caramel based cake tin
- Making the caramel is a little tricky, do not leave them to dissolve by itself/ you might burnt the sugar
- Place cake tin into another cake tray, just in case the caramel run a little wild